Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving weekend

I don't think it dawned on me that we wouldn't be celebrating Thanksgiving this year like we normally do until probably Wednesday evening, when I was thinking of how most of my friends back home would be heading home for a nice four day weekend with the family and I was just getting ready for another day of work. Oh well...I do get more vacation days now that I'm a UK employee, so I suppose if I had realized it earlier, we could have made our own Thanksgiving weekend. As it was, though, I've had a pretty busy week at work and we're looking forward to getting into our own place and having our own stuff arrive (rather than corporate housing with rented furniture), so we'll have a belated Thanksgiving dinner when we're in our own place.

Speaking of which, our housing search has been successful and we're in the final stages of getting a lease signed on a nice place in Chiswick. It is a converted flat on the ground floor of a Victorian terraced home that has access to a nice sized garden in the back yard. A realtor in the States would probably list it as "charming" (if you've read Freakonomics, you know what I mean by that). It has a lot of personality and we're excited to move in and get settled. I'm posting a few pictures below...

This is a picture of the front of the house:



Here's the garden, as viewed from the kitchen window:

This is the main reception area (don't worry, we're not keeping the white furniture...we know better with two children):


Here's the kitchen, which is a pretty good size compared with several other places we looked at.




Finally, the children have been learning their Articles of Faith in Primary this year, but we decided as a family that we wanted to learn them together as well. They have really impressed us with how quickly and how well they are able to memorize, and it has been helpful to have discussions about what the words mean as we learn each new one.

Enjoy!



(hopefully my experimentation with YouTube works...let me know if you can't see the videos)

3 comments:

goldenbear70 said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the updated blog--I enjoy readingit, bt it says "videos no longer available" on the YouTube screen. How long do they stay up?

Love to the whole family,
Dad

Bek said...

Hurrah. Great house (and garden). I also love the kitchen. It must feel nice to know you have a nest for the next few years...

Happy Turkey Day. Derek and I were just trying to remember if we ever celebrated T'giving there... hmmm. How are the kids doing? How is Anne?

Love the updates...

Tablogger said...

Are the videos working now?