Saturday, March 11, 2006

Making progress...

I want to say that I'm making progress, but I think I'm impatient for more. Today has been a much better day pain-wise than yesterday. I think I probably hit 8's and 9's (on a scale of from 1 to 10) a few of times yesterday, whereas today's worst has probably been a 6. I also slept pretty well last night, especially considering how I wasn't able to get much rest during the day yesterday because of the pain.

Today also marked my big "unveiling" ceremony where I got to take the big gauze dressing off and replace it with band-aids. Oh - and I got to take a shower - which I'm sure the rest of the family appreciated...no matter how much people say they love you, it has got to be preferable for people to bathe more often than every 48 hours! I was actually surprised at how minimal the evidence is of my surgery in terms of a) stitches, b) staples, and c) swelling. I have about a 2 1/2 inch incision in my lower leg that is stapled closed and then two small incisions (technically, I think they're punctures) slightly above them with a couple of stitches in each of them.

Before I put band-aids on, I asked the kids if they wanted to come see, which of course they did. Chase (aka Spiderman) pointed to the stitches and said "why do you have those webs on your knee, Daddy?" and then insisted that I put Spiderman band-aids on them...

Anyway, like I said, so far today is better than yesterday, but just in case I'm still out of it tomorrow, I called someone at church to ask them to teach my Sunday School class. I feel bad about it because I've had a substitute teach three of the four classes since I hurt my leg and we're only going to be here for another couple of months, and I really love teaching this class, but I don't want to overdo it either.

On a completely different subject, our family got the Disney version of the game "Scene it?" for Christmas and we have really enjoyed playing it together as a family. In fact last night, it was the only time all day where I was able to keep my mind off the fact that my leg had been hurting all day. One side effect of playing the game together has been that our family's Netflix queue keeps getting old Disney movies added to it as Anne and I go, "hey - I remember that one - we should rent that one and watch it again..."

If I were Netflix, I'd try to get a trial membership postcard included in all new boxes of "Scene it?"

2 comments:

dalene said...

Hi, I was reading your comments to Bek and had a sneaky feeling you had recently torn your ACL. I lost a good four months of my life from an ACL repair--a few of the darker days of my life--and I vowed that I would make something good out of it, hence I am sending you get well wishes from a perfect stranger and wishing you courage and a speedy recovery. I read from your posts that you've had even more extensive surgery than I, but I hope your recovery goes better. That's great that you're writing about it--that will help. The only other thing I can tell you is work hard in PT, don't do any more than they tell you you should be doing and keep your leg raised above your heart (this part is much easier to do if you are sitting or lying down instead of when you are standing up). Keep up the great work and best wishes!

Tablogger said...

Thanks for the good wishes, compulsive writer! PT starts tomorrow (I was supposed to start last Friday, the day after surgery, but the therapist got sick), and I'm anxious to get on with it. And don't worry - I'm spending most of my time either lying in bed, on the couch, or on the floor and when I'm not doing my leg exercises or using the CPM machine, my leg is elevated.