Monday, March 20, 2006

Stitches out...but still on crutches

On Thursday, I got my stitches and staples out. The incision sites look like they're healing pretty well, but I've still got quite a bit of bruising and discoloration left over from surgery. They had me do some leg lifts to check the quad strength and said things look pretty good. They also took another couple of x-rays to check the placement of the hardware inside my leg (they have a screw that anchors the graft in the tunnel they put in my tibia and a "button" that anchors the graft in the tunnel they put in my femur).

Overall they seemed pleased with the progress that I've been making with PT (my flexion was up to 128 degrees at Thursday morning's session and I was able to get on the stationary bike and ride for ten minutes without any pain) and they said that I should continue with the pace I've been following as long as things aren't hurting too much. Unfortunately, I will have to stay on the crutches for another two weeks to make sure that I give the fracture a chance to fully heal. I think that was the only big disappointment (for me) during the doctor visit, since I was tired of the crutches on the second or third day... On the other hand, they did say that I could start getting in the pool midweek next week and that I would be clear to drive once I felt comfortable slamming on the brakes.

Over the weekend, I noticed that I was waking up feeling pretty stiff and it seemed to me that I was losing some of my flexion, but when I went to PT this morning, I was at 125 degrees at the beginning of the session and up to 136 degrees by the end of the session. My good knee is about 146 or 147 degrees, so I'm pretty close to full range of motion now, though the swelling and discoloration are still present and the strength will take a lot longer to come back (especially since I'm not up to full weight bearing yet).

1 comment:

dalene said...

Keep up the great work in PT. I actually liked competing with myself in PT, but there were days...

Here's something that kept me going...a little joke my friend taught me:

Q. What's the difference between a physical therapist and a terrorist?

A. You can negotiate with a terrorist.

Hang in there!